An Open Letter To My Big On Disassociation Day...

Saturday, August 22, 2015

I don't know what's going to be worse- not talking to you for a month or you leaving the chapter soon. For now, we'll go with not talking to you for a month. I think it pretty much goes without saying that I'm going to miss you but I'm going to say it about five hundred times throughout this letter to really drive the point home. 

In under a year you've quickly become one of my most favorite people ever. I remember around this time last year being on the Panhel website, stalking the heck out of you. I remember sitting behind my laptop telling my roommate about how I basically wanted to be you, and if nothing else, be your little. Funny how things work out. 

You were my first friend in the chapter. I pretty much talked to you every night of recruitment (even though I probably wasn't supposed to), and when I wasn't talking to you, I was talking about you. I cried for your homecoming on Bid Day when you finished your reveal, and though I had already known what chapter you were in, I was so happy to just be one of your sisters. 

In under a year, you've taught me a lot. You taught me to take the high road (even when I don't want to because some people are worth being extra sassy to...). You helped me learn every ritual, you helped me prepare for my new member exam, and you even helped me learn to to put my own pin on. Outside of the chapter, you taught me the wonders of Chick-fil-A sauce, the best places to hide in the OC, and where you can isolate yourself in the library while still being close to an outlet. 

Besides being my big, you're also like my second mom when I'm at school. You offer to bring me gatorade for when I'm deliriously sick after composite, you always talk me out of chopping all of my hair off when I'm sick of doing it every day, and you've taught me the importance of layering pants when the walk across campus is too cold for one pair of leggings. You always sit with me at lunch so that I'm never alone, and you always introduce to me to the Greeks I don't know at Greek table so that when you're not there someone always knows me. You always have gum for when I've drunken too much coffee and I have a bad case of coffee breath, and you're always my go-to for swiping free food from SPB events. 

I'm pretty sure you're also the only one in the chapter who understands my love of big/little pictures, and you never get annoyed when I have to take a picture over because my eye one eye sometimes looks lazy (#thestruggle). You equally love mint chocolate chip ice cream, and you get that I go through phases of being obsessed with everything from a genre of music to a way to wear my hair. I'm going to miss our Chipotle / McDonalds/ Taco Bell / Applebee's runs after meetings, and I'm even going to miss the way you cut me off when I'm telling a story (because I always end up cutting you off too so you just get it). 

Thank you for letting me talk about Nick Jonas, listening to my love/hate relationship with everything Justin Bieber does, supporting my obsession with phanny packs, and for dragging my grandma self out so that I learn to be social. Thank you for teaching me how to be a new member, how to be brave and run for positions, and for always encouraging me to #blogaboutit. (Also thank you for not getting mad when I say "hashtag ___" because I know I do that a lot.) Lastly, thank you for being the reason I fell in love with our chapter and for being an exemplary model of what a sorority woman embodies. I can't wait to run into your arms on bid day (please catch me!!!) and throw our sign with you for the first time publicly in a month. 

I miss you already, Big! 

(please enjoy this picture of my big being cuter than me even when her face is covered up...)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Laur Jurczy 2017