Limitless?

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Today I did something ordinary.

I put on my workout wear, laced up my running shoes, and queued up my playlist. After a quick stretch sesh and a hit off the good ole inhaler, I took off running. This is ordinary for most, but to me, this is everything.

Let me explain...

I am by no means a runner, unless you count that as just a person who runs somewhat regularly- then yeah, totally. But by conventional standards, I'm not. I don't have the body or the build, and I most definitely do not have the lungs. I can't run more than 4 miles without my lungs burning because they're so inflamed and little oxygen gets through. My arms are usually on fire, and my ankles kind of suck after mile 3. Despite this all, I run. Most would ask why the heck I do this, but the answer is really simple. I do this because I can. I'm not just talking about running, either. I'm talking about fitness in general.

Years ago I never thought I would be in the place that I am in now. Growing up was a struggle. I was always the girl who was a little chunkier than all her friends. While the rest of the school was shopping at Limited Too (throwback much??) or Abercrombie, I was wondering why the heck these stores didn't make sizes to fit me too. Because I figured I would always just be this way, I sat around in my bedazzled bootcut jeans and blamed my asthma for making it nearly impossible for me to do anything physical.

But by the time I entered the junior high and wanted to keep up with my friends, I knew I couldn't keep doing that. If I ever wanted to feel good about myself, I had to stop blaming what I could not change for holding me back. Because truth be told, asthma never held me back- I was holding me back. So I did literally the craziest thing ever and joined my school's cheer team. I may not have been able to stay the pace of the other girls on the team, but thank God that coach saw something in me because forced conditioning made me realize something: you cannot believe in your limits.

Before someone goes off on me, I'm not saying to disregard your limits. Definitely listen to your body and do what you're comfortable with. Life happens outside of your comfort zone, but don't put yourself in physical pain just because you think it's going to make you successful. Instead, I'm saying don't let your limits confine you. Don't let them hold you back and make you think that you're less than what you actually are. By no means was my worth attached to my weight, but that lesson took years for me to learn.

Here's the takeaway from yet another ramble of mine- we have limits, everyone does, but we cannot let them take hold of our life. Test your limits, push your limits, and break your limits. Just never succumb to your limits. I'm always going to have things trying to hold me back, but everyday I have a choice. I can either give in to the part of me that will always want to give up when things get tough, or I can listen to the voice that so gently tells me to keep moving forward. Between the two, I'm always going to pick the voice.

(on a lighter note, does anyone else get these same profound thoughts while on a run? just me? ok)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Laur Jurczy 2017