Stress Less: My Top 6 Methods for Reducing Stress

Friday, January 30, 2015


If I had to describe this week in one word, it would be stressful. Second semester came at me like a train, and I am so thankful it is finally Friday (though it's still not giving me much peace of mind...). My brain has been swarmed with thoughts and plans that I just cannot seem to jot down on paper quick enough, and my to-do list is way longer than any Kate Spade notepad could handle - not even my Lilly planner can keep up.

With the stress of the new semester upon myself, I have been spending my free time seeking out ways to relieve my stress, and I've compiled a list of things that have been really helping me trudge through the last few days. Since I know that many of my readers are now back to the grindstone, I figured this list could be helpful to others as well.

Drink something hot ||  Sipping on a hot drink is a great way to relax. Because you can't just chug it and go along with your day, you are forced to drink slowly. Make yourself some tea, cocoa, or coffee and set aside your work for the remainder of the cup. By giving yourself some time to just focus on your drink, you'll clear some headspace and treat yourself to some much needed quiet time.

Practice yoga || Something I've recently gotten into is yoga. I practice first thing when I wake up, and right before I go to bed. By giving myself 15-20 minutes of quiet time, I find I'm more ready to start my day and I'm totally relaxed before heading to bed. Click below to see what poses I've been loving!

Hit the gym / workout || This goes along with yoga, but sometimes throughout the day you just need an hour to focus on something else. Be productive and hit the gym for an hour. The break in your day will give you a chance to put your frustration into something worthwhile, and the endorphins you release during your workout will be sure to make you feel much better. If you don't have access to a gym, I highly recommend the blogilates videos Cassey posts on her youtube channel, which you can find here

Plan your day before you go to bed || This one I have to give credit to my mom, since she's the one who floated me this tip. Every night before I go to bed, I make a list of what I want to get done the previous day (I am a list-a-holic, and the sense of accomplishment I get from crossing something off of my to-do list is a relief I simply cannot describe). I work on these small tasks throughout the day, and whatever is left on my list goes directly at the top for the next day's to-do's. It keeps me on task and gives me a goal to reach at the end of the day. 

Journal || A lot of people think it's silly to keep journals, but for me the experience is extremely cathartic. Being able to let go of everything swarming my mind and put it on paper keeps my head clear and gives me a healthy release for my stress. I highly recommend it to everyone who feels they simply have way too much on their mind all of the time. 

Give yourself an end time || This last tip is something new that I've been muling over in my head. I frequently check out Dale Partridge's blog, The Daily Positive, and he has given me something to thing about. In his productive morning post (read it here!) he talked about how he always finishes his work day at 6. While sometimes this is simply not ideal for a college student, there are many days where I do not need to be killing myself by staying up well past midnight working on my studies only to get up the next morning at 7 (remember when I said I want to condition myself to become a morning person...). By setting an end time, you give yourself a time limit on when you can accomplish your goals for the day. After that, use your time for whatever else you want to do. 

Is there anything different you do to relieve your stress or anything you think should be added to my list? Let me know in the comments below! 
---
LMJ

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Laur Jurczy 2017