Tips For Better Mornings

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

{via}

Admittedly, I hate mornings. Why on earth I had decided to take an 8AM class this semester is beyond me. What's even more troubling than my rash decision to take an 8AM is how I used to wake up at 5:45 every morning in high school so that I could shower and make it on time to class everyday. Regardless of these facts, mornings and I have never (and probably will never) be the best of friends.

All is not lost though- from the struggle of my morning class, I have found ways to make mornings more bearable and more productive than ever before imaginable. I'm sharing my tips with you, so hopefully, you can despise mornings a little less, too (because let's face it, mornings are a fact of life).

1 | Move your phone / alarm out of arms reach. At school, I prefer to put my phone on top of my fridge since turning off the alarm means that I have to physically get up and climb down from my loft. By moving the alarm, you are forced to get up and get moving.

2 | Chug some water (cold specifically). This is going to wake up your body, boost your metabolism, and in general alert yourself. I always keep a mason jar of water in my fridge so that in the morning not only is the water cold, but so is the glass- giving me an extra shock of cold to wake up my system. It's also really important to hydrate before you caffeinate.

3 | Give yourself a good stretch. This could be anything as simple as shaking out your limbs or something as routine and ritual as yoga. Whatever you choose to do, get your body moving so that you're not all stiff when you're in the likely rush to get out the door.

4 | Stay off the social media. This is probably uber shocking coming from me since I adore social media, but it will only distract you in the long run. Plus, you don't really want to start your mornings off by seeing your least favorite person on twitter insistently tweet about how great their bagels are.

5 | Wash your face with cold water. This is for nearly the exact same reason as #2. Wake yourself up with a shock factor if you have to (plus your skin will love you for this and you should be doing it anyways).

6 | Make time for breakfast. While I don't need to remind you why breakfast is the most important meal of the day (brunch / lunch are my faves anyways), I am going to remind you that by getting food in your system, you're more likely to be able to focus on the day ahead of you, to binge eat less, and to not interrupt your peers from your obnoxiously loud stomach as it grumbles in dire need of food. When I've got an early class, I eat something as small as grapefruit before class just to replenish my body, but when I have more time, I never turn down the opportunity to make myself a waffle. Moral? Eat something.

7 | Prep the night before. Whether this be laying out your clothes, packing your backpack, or getting parts of your lunch together the next day- do it. You'll spend less time mulling around what to wear/bring/do and you'll be better equipped to mentally prepare for the day ahead.

Still not a fan of mornings? Don't worry- you don't have to breakup with your afternoon naps.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Laur Jurczy 2017