The Average of Five

Wednesday, January 27, 2016


Within the last year, I have taken greater notice to the amount of impact people have on my life. Those around you can affect your mood, state of mind, and your outlook on life. Previously, I've talked about how much better last semester was for me and how I attributed it to the people I surrounded myself with. After thinking about it more, I've realized how true this is.

It was Jim Rohn who once said "you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." If this statement holds truth, then I beg you to think about the five people you are around the most. Do these people share your values, motivate you, inspire you, and keep you positive? Do these five people care about your goals in life and respect you?

"You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." - Jim Rohn

More importantly, how do you feel when you are around these five people? Do they make you feel that you can do anything you set your mind to, or do you leave their presence feeling diminished, beat down, and in a negative mindset?

It is my belief that in order to live a more positive life, it is important to surround yourself with positive people. It is amazing how just spending more time with the right people can change your perception. While there are always going to be negative individuals in the world, you can choose not to indulge in their antics. Guard the time you give to the company you keep fiercely- it is one of the few things that we have control over, and while it can seem so trivial, it can have profound affects on your being.

So this is my challenge to you: look closely at the five people you spend the most time with. Look at how they treat you, how they treat others, and how you act when you are around them. If we are the average of the five people we spend the most time with, how would your five measure up?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Laur Jurczy 2017