I Cut My Hair?!

Thursday, January 23, 2014

That's right, the mane is gone! This past week, I made the decision to finally cut off my long locks. If you have ever seen me in my every day life, or have been following me on tumblr for a while, then you know that my hair was out of this world. It had recently grown long enough to be tucked into my pants, but was surprisingly still healthy despite its length and my carelessness.

This picture was taken a few months back, and though my hair is curled, you can get an idea of how long it was before I donated it.


While a hair cut is really no big deal, it was a big decision for me to make. I have had long hair for as long as I can remember. It had become part of my identity actually, which makes me kind of sad that it had gotten to that point. My hair used to warrant compliments from strangers, family members, and its length was something I felt a strange sense of pride in.

Though I had cherished my hair for so many years, I actually began growing it out long enough for me to one day donate it. These past few years, from junior high on to high school, I've had an increasing number of friends-and even people I wasn't extremely close to- have to battle with either losing a loved one to cancer, or have had to go through the process as a family. As that number grew more and more, I began thinking how devastated I would feel if I had to wake up every day with a little less hair on my head. It sounds shallow, but we take our hair for granted. For many, myself included, it can provide a sense of comfort.

But what happens when it's not there anymore? Then what? I figured that I already had so many blessings in my life that sacrificing my locks wouldn't be a loss at all. Though it took me a long time and a lot of talk, I finally did it. I lost over 10 inches of my hair after the whole process, and that's something that I'll have to come to terms with, but it feels so good knowing that someone in the world may be able to fight the battle with a little more confidence because they've got my hair. I know its going to go to great use, and after treating me well for so many years, it's time that someone else gets to take it for a spin.

These pictures were taken by my lovely mother, who went with my to document the moment. I definitely lost a lot of hair during the process. 


It feels so weird to think that hair can be something of a gift like that. I can't say that I regret the decision at all. I was beautiful with my long hair, sure, but even though some of its missing now, I feel just as pretty, and I hope that someone out there can feel pretty with it too.

This is me now, with my hair, minus the 10+ inches gone. It's still a pretty decent length, and I'm so pleased with the way it's turned out. You have no idea how long it's been since I've been able to fit the entire length of my hair in a selfie! 


If you have ever considered donating you hair, it is something I would definitely encourage. Even if it's never been a thought to ever cross your mind, the idea should really be entertained. I know it isn't something for everyone, but you definitely take on a feeling of gratification when you realize how such a small act has the potential to bring somebody else so much joy. If this is something you would like to do, you should definitely check out Wigs for Kids, Locks of Love, or similar organizations to see how you can make a difference in your community.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Laur Jurczy 2017