What College Has Taught Me: 6 Lessons from my first semester

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

While I've only been in college for a whopping one semester, I feel that I have learned some pretty interesting, if not valuable lessons that I would like to share with my readers. Here are six things that you're likely to learn from your first semester in college:

  1. If there's free food, attend the event. Nearly everyone you meet in college (and probably yourself included) isn't bringing in stacks of money. So when the food is free, take advantage of saving your money and ditch that Subway you were thinking of buying. Sure, it's only a $5 sandwich, but now you can use that five dollars on something else, like that cup of coffee to help you pull an all nighter for your next big exam.
  2. If there's free shirts, attend the event. This is basically for the same reason as the the free food, but come on. Who doesn't love free shirts? I've only been at my school for a semester and I'm already pushing 10 to 15 free shirts. My drawers are overflowing with free shirts. They're great for school pride because they probably mention your school somewhere on them, you can workout in them, and who likes doing laundry in college? Not me. Are you kidding? There's hardly ever a washer open when you need one. Take those free shirts and don't look back. 
  3. Talk to your professors. I know, you're probably wondering when I was going to get serious, but this is a big one. I got face time with my psychology professor just by asking him lame questions about how to correctly set up my iClicker everyday for the first week of the class. My history professor excused my absence because I participated in class and made the effort to ask questions before and after class. Trust me, professors love this. It shows you care about the class and that you just aren't here to waste their time. So get over your fear and talk to your teachers. It helps. 
  4. Join something. Anything. College can be lonely if you don't have people to share the experience with. I'm not saying to drop your friends from high school just because you don't see them everyday. I still have what I consider close friendships with my high school friends, but the fact of the matter is that they're not always around to experience things in the moment with you when you're away at school. I am lucky enough to have a sisterhood to belong to at my school, but more than that I am EXTREMELY blessed to consider my roommate my closest friend. I am also super blessed with friends who I live in the same building with. 
  5. Document everything you do. This might sound crazy, but trust me, just do it. Take pictures, write in a journal. Do something. Time goes by fast and before you know it you're out in the world without a safety net below you and you're going to miss the times that were carefree. So document everything you do and give yourself the chance to look back on it later in life.  
  6. Volunteer while you still have the time to. You will never have as much free time as you do in college at any other point in your life. Unless you're a trophy wife, and in that case- why are you going to college? The point is, give back to your community. Find opportunities on your campus and take them. The experience is so rewarding and really puts your life in perspective. I think getting a clear perspective while your learning about yourself is so important, so take some time to give to others. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Laur Jurczy 2017